Benefits Of Pregnancy Massage
There are many physical benefits for mother and baby when receiving Massage during Pregnancy. From the minimisation of stretch marks and splitting of the abdominals (Diastasis rectii) to improved lymphatic drainage decreasing carpal tunnel syndrome – massage does more than merely help with a sore back and fatigued muscles!
Did You Know That Massage:
- Helps the body to eliminate waste products such as lactic acid through the lymphatic and circulatory systems. This intern combats fatigue and helps the mother feel more energetic.
- Aid’s circulation, helps to reduce cardiac load and assists the maintenance of healthy blood pressure levels.
- Alleviates muscle tightness, stiffness, tension, and cramping.
- Has been shown to help relieve depression or anxiety caused by any hormonal changes the mother may be experiencing.
- Has been shown to relieve many of the normal discomforts during pregnancy, such as backaches, neck stiffness, leg cramps, headaches, oedema and sore, swollen feet.
- Increases local and general blood circulation, which brings more oxygen and nutrients to the cells of both the mother and foetus.
- Helps stimulates glandular secretions, which assist in the stabilisation of hormone levels.
- Relaxes tense muscles and tones loose muscles, and can also increase muscular flexibility. Flexibility will be most helpful during the last trimester and during the birth process itself.
- Helps to soothe and relax nervous tension, which helps the mother sleep more easily and more deeply. Doctors all agree that a relaxed mother will have a happier, healthier pregnancy!
- Can assist in the preparation and loosening of the pelvis before birth
- Reduces the risk of mastitis by promoting better milk production due to reduction in breast tissue tension.
- Improves tissue healing during postpartum recovery.
- Assists in the realignment of the pelvis and spine after birth.
- Provides relief from soreness and stiffness after childbirth.
- Assists mobility and recovery after a caesarean birth.
Once pregnancy is advanced- the pregnant woman is discouraged from lying on her back, as this may cause adverse pressure on deep blood vessels. Peninsula Sports Medicine Group has a number of “Prone Lying” maternity massage cushions to normalise a healthy and relaxing massage.